So, here it is - my second technical blog. The first one died along with my frustration on SharePoint 2010 I had to work with some time ago… The resignation burned out and so my willingness to describe my miserable experiences with this hopeless (at least from dev perspective) technology. It was not the best reason for sharing anything with the world.

Why I decided to start new one from the scratch?

→ Read more

This post was originaly published on my previous blog and moved here. Some links and resources might not be up to date.

Once again about the SharePoint 2010 taxonomy service.

As I wrote in my previous posts, loading data into MMD service automatically can be quite a challenge. First, you must remember about illegal characters in terms labels. Second, you must trace duplicates across sibling nodes in taxonomy trees. And this could not be the end of your problems especially if you plan to load some more data at one time.

→ Read more

This post was originaly published on my previous blog and moved here. Some links and resources might not be up to date.

If you have ever had to load large number of data into SharePoint MMD service or build taxonomies automatically you have likely encountered the following problem:

Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.TermStoreOperationException:
  There is already a term with the same default label and parent term.  
→ Read more

This post was originaly published on my previous blog and moved here. Some links and resources might not be up to date.

Recently, when I was working on mechanism of automatic synchronization of tree structures provided by web service to SharePoint taxonomies, I came across an error like this:

The value '(<= 0320-775, 0550-5/7)' is invalid. It probably contains invalid characters or is too long.  
Parameter name: name  

with the following stacktrace fragment:

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.Internal.CommonValidator.ValidateName(String name, String parameterName)  
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.TermSetItem.CreateTerm(String name, Int32 lcid, Guid newTermId)  
...  
→ Read more

This post was originaly published on my previous blog and moved here. Some links and resources might not be up to date.

Writing a component for parsing XML files with XMLSerializer I had to provide DTD validation (DTD file was already created long time ago so there was no sense for creating XSD schema). The component must have been able to work in console application and web app (as a SharePoint timer job) so there was no chance to guarantee the same paths for DTD file (which was always specified in doctype directive in processed files). In such situation I’ve decided to deliver the DTD file as embedded resource in component assembly.

→ Read more